.. ...
  Getting Started
  Pre-Adoption Paperwork
  While you Wait
  Travel to Pakistan
  Process in Pakistan
  Back Home with your Child



1. Applying for NICOP Card

2. Finding a dependable contact in Pakistan

3. Contacting a Lawyer in Pakistan

4. Selecting an Attorney in US


1. Applying for NICOP Card

There are three identity cards issued by the National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA). One is a Computerized National Identity Card (CNIC) for residents of Pakistan and persons having dual nationalities. The second is a Pakistan Origin Card (POC) and the third is the National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistanis (NICOP). The difference between NICOP and POC is that the POC is a little more restrictive in terms of what you can transact in Pakistan and is much easier to obtain.

The POC can be obtained by non-Pakistani spouses and families of Pakistani passport or NICOP holders. It allows entry in Pakistan without a visa and exempts one from registering as a foreigner and lets them transact most business.

A NICOP has more stringent requirements such as absolute proof of Pakistani identity for the applicant. An old Pakistani passport of the applicant or their parent along with any old ID cards is required.

For the purpose of international adoption, only a NICOP or CNIC allows an adoptive parent to get a "B" form (or "CRC" Child Registration Certificate) for a child which is an identity card issued to minors under 18. The "B" form is necessary to get the Pakistani passport, which is required in order to get a visa to take the child out of the country.

NOTE: Some agencies have obtained "B" forms under the name of a CNIC holding guardian instead of adoptive parents to get around the NICOP requirement but this needs to be clarifies from NADRA.

Further information on NICOP can be viewed at the NADRA website at http://www.nadra.gov.pk/site/340/default.aspx

back to top

2. Finding a Dependable Contact in Pakistan

When working with orphanages in Pakistan, it is important to have a strong and dependable local contact in Pakistan. Edhi requires you to designate a local contact in Karachi, family or close friend, who can represent you in your adoption process.

Mrs. Edhi likes to meet with the local contact and assesses your case based on her impression of the contact. She also gauges your interest in pursuing your adoption by the diligence with which your local contact keeps in touch with Edhi office. It is recommended they meet her in person initially and thereafter call every other week. This is the person they will call when a child is available for you. They should be able to go and pick up the baby on your behalf at an hour's notice, and you should feel comfortable with this person taking care of your child till you, or another responsible relative, can get to Karachi to take custody of the baby.

SOS also wants you to designate a local contact in Lahore who would be called when a baby is available for you, but they do not require active involvement from your local contact like Edhi does. In any case, it is important to find someone who is reliable, and willing to make the time and effort to represent you and take care of your child if need be. Most people rely on immediate and extended family, but you may also designate a trusted friend for this important role. Your local contact will receive the baby on your behalf, be responsible for contacting you with the information that the child is available, and confirming to the orphanage your acceptance of the child. In some cases, you may grant power of attorney to your local contact to take care of your child through the waiting period, represent your case in the Pakistani Family Court, get the baby's birth certificate and CRC, etc. The bond that develops between your child and your local contact as a result of this important role in the child's life, becomes a relationship to cherish for a lifetime.

back to top

3. Contacting a Lawyer in Pakistan

Adoption is not recognized in Pakistan and therefore adoptive parent(s) can gain legal custody only through guardianship in Pakistani family courts as prescribed by the Guardian and Wards Act of 1890. The decree has to state that the petitioner and spouse (if married) have obtained legal custody of the child for adoption and emigration.

It is highly recommended to have an experienced attorney ready and willing to prepare and present your case. It is very important to verify with a potential attorney if she/he has handled guardianship cases in Pakistani courts for US citizens. Ask them for references, the names of some of their previous clients and contact information.

You should also ascertain exactly what services the attorney is providing for their fee. Some attorneys will agree to only represent you in court and others may provide more services such as assisting with getting documents like birth certificate, child's CRC (Child Registration Certificate), and child's Pakistani passport.

If you are unable to be in Pakistan and personally handle some of the paperwork or court appearances and therefore wish to appoint someone to act on your behalf by power-of-attorney, your attorney should be able make arrangements for that. Verify with the attorney if they have handled such cases and get client names and contact information. Again, an experienced attorney is highly recommended.

Check all documents for spelling errors, incorrect dates, and any inaccurate information as soon as you receive the court documents and review your attorney's court submissions beforehand because any small error could cause you weeks or even months of delays to rectify the problem.

Attorney fees can vary greatly by attorney. It helps to ask couples experienced with adoption to determine if the fee is reasonable.

The State department provides a list of recommended attorneys at http://travel.state.gov/family/adoption/country/country_432.html

The following are names of attorneys that are recommended by families that have adopted from Pakistan:





Nisar Ahmed Khan

(recommended for Edhi adoption cases, UK and US)

House no C-36/3 Metroville No 1 S.I.T.E.

Ph: 92-331-911-7854
Ph: 92-300-354-4553


Riaz K. Brohi

(experienced in all adoption cases)

2nd Floor, Main Tecno City Mall, Hasrat Mohani Road, New Chall, Karachi-74000.

Ph: 92-21-3227-0737
Ph: 92-21-3227-0738
Cell: 92-300-280-0988
Cell: 92-313-280-0988

rkbrohi@hotmail.c:om rkbrohi@yahoo.com


Syed M. Mohsin Zaidi

(recommended for US process)

4-Mozang Road

Cell: 92-300-457-9490


Malik Mubashir Nazar

(experienced in Edhi adoption cases)

District Courts Islamabad , Islamabad, Pakistan, 46000

Ph: 92-51-4478565
Cell: 92-300-956-0940
Cell: 92-300-517-2330
Fax: 92-51-447-8565

Email: mubashir_nazar@hotmail.com

back to top

4. Selecting an Attorney in US

Since Pakistan only provides guardianship, you will need to readopt your child in the United States when you and your new family return home. You will need an attorney in the US as well as in Pakistan. Home study agencies can recommend an attorney and a few will actually arrange for the re-adoption.

If you are on an orphanage waiting list, the call for placement of a child could come without warning and you may have to leave for Pakistan with a short notice. It may help to interview and select the attorney that is right for you prior to your placement and travel to Pakistan, so you do not have to find one after your return to the United States with your child. It also helps to have a US attorney at your disposal if you run into problems with US embassy in Pakistan that requires their assistance. This should hopefully not be a problem if you adopt through agencies approved by the State department.

The following is a website that lists adoption attorneys by state http://www2.adoptionattorneys.org/states/state.asp?st=NY

The following are names of US attorneys recommended by families that have adopted in Pakistan.

State Adoption Attorney Contact
Missouri Karen S. Rosenberg

Assisted Reproductive Technology Law, Adoption Law
Krigel and Krigel, P.C. 4550 Belleview Kansas City, MO 64114
Ph: 1-816-756-5800
Fax: 1-816-756-1999
e: krosenberg@krigelandkrigel.com

New York Michael Goldstein

62 Bowman Avenue, Rye Brook, NY
Ph: 1-914-939-1111 x 212
Ph: 1-914-579-3181
e: m.goldstein@adoptionattorneys.org

Website: www.adoptgold.com

New York Lori Goldheim

20 Old Nyack Turnpike, Suite 300, Nanuet, NY 10954
Ph: 1-845-624-2727
e: goldheim@adoptionattorneys.org

Website: www.adoptionrights.com

New York Aaron Britvan (may have retired?) Ph: 1-516-496-2222
New York Jeanine Castagna

1225 Franklin Avenue, Suite 325 Garden City, NY 11530
Ph: 1-516-495-7906
e: jeanine@jcadoptionlaw.com

New York Nina Rumbold and Denise Seidelman

1145 Baldwin Road, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
Ph: 1-914-962-3001
Fax: 1-914-962-1707
e: n.rumbold@adoptionattorneys.org
e: d.seidelman@adoptionattorneys.org

Website: www.adoptionlawny.com

Tennessee Lisa L. Collins 3100 West End Avenue, Suite 1210, Nashville, TN 37203
Ph: s1-615-269-5540
Fax: 1-615-345-1400
e: l.collins@adoptionattorneys.org
Texas Donald and Melody Royall

Website: www.adoptiontexas.com

back to top



DISCLAIMER: All listings, information, links, and personal opinions on this web site are collected and compiled by an informal group of individuals and provided as a community service to people planning to adopt a child from Pakistan. The information may not be current or accurate nor is it intended to be an endorsement for any agency, organization, individual etc. You may use this site solely at your own risk. This website assumes no liability for any damages resulting from the use of any information on this site. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be copied or transmitted in any form without the written permission of the group.

Copyrights © Pakistanadoption.com